Friday, January 22, 2010

Week Two: Online Communities

I have been a member of Facebook for a few years. It can be a great tool to connect and collaborate with people. I have joined a number of library groups and like how quickly everyone can be updated through mass messaging. I am a fan of some library pages also, so libraries can gain some visibility from creating a page. Lawrence Public Library uses Facebook to post about events and news; the library has a lot of friends, so it seems to be reaching a lot of people. Finding an effective way to promote a library group or fan page does take some energy; LPL has a link to Facebook on their homepage, so that seems to be a good way to connect to the community.

I also gave Ning a try. I have created a site, but am not very far along. Connecting people based on interests is a great idea and hopefully I can use it. I'll put in a link to it if I get the site developed a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment