Friday, March 12, 2010

Week Nine: Instant Messaging

I have used instant messaging at work to answer reference questions. Also, I've chatted on Facebook and in gmail, but just a little bit. Like Twitter, IM is another way to reach library patrons (like Liz mentioned, especially millennials). I would answer a question through IM every shift or every other shift when I worked at Washburn's Mabee Library. Sometimes I would get a handful of questions. IM was not ideal for bulky reference questions, but for quick ready reference it was great.

I tried google talk for this week- jennifer.p.cook@gmail.com. The buddies I tried to connect with were offline, so I will try to chat with them again soon. Using IM to discuss work ideas seems like a good substitute if people can't meet in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment